Our story began in the 1940’s when the Smith Family started their box making business in East London. Since then, our reputation has grown for quality engineering and dedication to our customers.
As a leading supplier of corrugated packaging and a FTSE 100 business, we operate across 37 countries and employ around 32,000 people. We believe in empowering our people; driving a culture of engagement and continuous improvement to deliver results. So, when you join us, you’ll not be surprised to be given the opportunity to create, learn and innovate.
Our vision is very clear – to become the leading supplier of sustainable packaging solutions.
About the role
The role of Sustainability Analyst – Community and Government Affairs is a new graduate position within the Group Government, Community Affairs and Sustainability team. The purpose of the role is to coordinate the delivery of the Community Affairs programme across all our sites worldwide and to support the Government Affairs function in tracking and analysing public policy and coordinating Government Affairs activities across the company.
Your responsibilities will be split between the Community Affairs and Government Affairs agendas. You will work with the Senior Sustainability Manager to lead the delivery of our sustainability strategy targets that relate to our community programme and community activity.
* Ensuring that 100% of our sites undertake a community engagement activity each year
* Delivering 100 biodiversity projects by 2025
* Working with all of our paper mills to run a biodiversity programme by 2025
* Engaging 5 million people on Circular Economy by 2030
* Coordination of the DS Smith Charitable Foundation
You will also provide support to the Government Affairs Manager in relation to policy, government affairs and trade associations, which will include;
* Monitoring relevant public policy developments, drafting policy summaries and briefing documents
* Analysing potential policy impacts on DS Smith
* Coordinating interactions with trade associations across the company
* Helping to determine policy positions
* Interaction with Media and PR team
* University degree – preferably related to Politics, Public Policy or Sustainability
* Confident communicator – the ability to build strong working relationships is essential to your success in this role
* Analytically minded – you will need to be able to turn a large amount of information into simplified actions
* Energetic, self-motivated and resilient
* Project management experience
* Work experience in the manufacturing industry
* Demonstrable interest in sustainability
* Additional languages would be beneficial
* Competitive Salary
* Group Bonus Scheme
* Contributory Pension
* 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays