Financial Accountant – 9 Month FTC
The Financial Accountant role is part of the Financial Control and Business Services team within the wider Finance team at Ofcom. The Finance team form part of the Corporate Group at Ofcom.
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Financial Accounting Manager, the Financial Accountant will be responsible for managing the Financial Accounting and all related matters including the year-end accounts and audit matters as part of the Annual Report and Accounts and ensuring related internal controls and governance are appropriate and adhered to.
This role is a temporary fixed term role to provide cover at year end and while we undertake the implementation of a significant project.
Requirements of the Role
– Manage the financial accounting and related monthly processes to ensure timely and accurate monthly reporting
– Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of financial information is maintained through the design and monthly review of controls and related reporting. This would include review and sign off for all monthly balance sheet reconciliations
– Provide relevant and timely financial accounting and control of the reporting pack to management
Governance and Compliance:
– Ensure compliance with the organisation’s accounting policies and internal controls
– Continuous review and development of accounting policies and finance processes to ensure they are appropriate and operating efficiently
– Ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Fixed Asset register
– Manage the accounting and reporting requirements relating to leases in line with IFRS 16, co-ordinating information and plans across Ofcom to ensure accuracy and compliance
– Support as necessary various ad hoc projects
Statutory Accounts and Audit:
– Be fully conversant with relevant accounting standards and provide technical accounting advice and support to the wider Finance team
– Prepare annual statutory IFRS accounts as part of the Annual Report and Accounts
– Act as the main point of contact for the NAO (external auditors) during the interim and annual audits, including the planning, co-ordination of deliverables across Ofcom, control of information requests and ensuring all lessons are incorporated into the following year’s planning process to continue to drive improvements
– Build and maintain an effective relationship with the NAO audit team to ensure a smooth year-end process
– Manage the preparation of detailed audit files, including year-end provisions
– Prepare the pension calculations and disclosures within the year-end accounts, managing the information transfer between pension advisors, actuary, pension manager and NAO to ensure accurate and timely reporting in line with IAS 19
– Comply with all relevant Ofcom policy and procedures and behavioural competencies
– Complete any other ad hoc requests that are in line with your skill and capability
Skills, knowledge and experience
– Proven experience in Financial Accounting, Governance and compliance, Statutory Accounts and Audit
– Experience of managing a year-end process including managing the requests for information from the auditors and preparation of audit files
– Technically strong with substantial experience of preparing quality financial statements using International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and taking those statements through the audit and publication processes
– Advanced Excel
– Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
– Experience of SAP or another ERP system
– Experience of reviewing and developing internal controls, policies and procedures
– Fully qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/ACMA/CIPFA)
– Natural problem solver – be able to identify, develop and deliver well thought out solutions to sometimes complex problems
– People person and relationship builder, able to build relationships both within and outside the Finance department
– Proactive and positive individual
– Be able to work effectively without close supervision
– Deadline focused
– Work with a ‘customer-service’ mentality, and continually challenge the efficiency of processes and provide advice on best practice.
Other desirable experience includes:
– Experience of working for a government related organisation in a similar financial accounting role
– Auditing experience
Diversity and Inclusion
Ofcom is a forward-thinking, inclusive employer and recognises the value of diversity to truly “make communications work for everyone”. We are a Disability Confident employer, among the Times’ Top 50 UK employers for women 2020 and a Race at Work Charter signatory. We partner with a wide range of organisations to ensure that we are guided by best practice on inclusion and diversity: we are a Stonewall Diversity Champion, members of the Business Disability Forum, Business in the Community for age, gender and ethnicity and Carers UK. We have a range of colleague diversity networks to support our colleagues and our organisational diversity and inclusion programme.
We have an agile working model allowing us to have a location-neutral approach to filling our roles. We also support flexible ways of working, wherever possible. Our colleagues are free to move around all our offices, enabling them to work alongside and collaborate with other teams and groups. These initiatives help Ofcom colleagues to work flexibly in way that supports them.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Financial Accountant, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Accountant, Qualified Accountant, Management Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Accounts Manager, Finance Manager, Accounts Senior, Interim Accountant, or Accounting Manager
Entry Level FX (Foreign Exchange) Trader Location: Cardiff Compensation from £18,000 – £100,000 OTE + dependent on performance Looking to...Apply For This Job
Trainee Forex Trader – Experience is not required! Earn from £18,000 – £100,000 OTE, dependent on the performance Looking to...Apply For This Job
About The Role We are recruiting for an exceptional Senior Manager of Financial Performance – a new and exciting role...Apply For This Job
Job Title: Mortgage and Protection Adviser. Basis: Full Time Permanent Employed Role. Location: Flexible home based role for experienced Mortgage Advisers with a...Apply For This Job
MONDAY TO FRIDAY: OFFICE HOURS We are a firm of Chartered Accountants looking for an enthusiastic, active individual to join...Apply For This Job