Officer Grade: 10 Date Updated: December 2019
About the Job To Chair Reviews of Looked After Children. To ensure that reviews of Looked After Children are completed within statutory timescales and to high standards. To contribute to the development and quality assurance of service standards for Looked After Children.
This is what we need you to do…
* To be responsible for the co-ordination and independent chairing Looked After Children (LAC) Reviews
* To fulfil the responsibilities as laid out in the IRO Regulations and guidance.
* To ensure that LAC Reviews are arranged, chaired and recorded in accordance with existing procedures and the requirements of individual cases and to an acceptable standard.
* To routinely and actively quality assure the LAC processes, monitor progress of LAC Care Plans between reviews, identify drift against Care Plans.
* To provide feedback on both practice of concern and on good practice, to social workers, their managers and the Local Authority, ensuring conflict resolution, safeguarding alerts and practice alerts are raised where appropriate to the case.
* To participate in targeted quality assurance activity as required.
* To ensure the needs of looked after children are identified and addressed with particular regard to race, religion, culture, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation.
* To refer cases to the highest authority within the County Council and to the Child & Family Court Advisory Support Service (CAFCASS) where appropriate, in line with escalation procedures.
* To ensure that the focus on the needs of children and young people is maintained.
* To ensure the meaningful participation of children, young people and their families/carers in the LAC reviewing process. To ensure children are aware of their rights to legal representation and advocacy, and to inform children and parents/carers that they have a right to make complaints to the local authority and provide appropriate information
* To liaise with relevant staff in other agencies who have responsibility for child protection and looked after children concerning the development of practices and procedures.
* To provide information through the Standards Checklist to help form a view about practice across the authority so that improvements can be made.
* To create and maintain links with operational team managers in order to improve standards for children in need of protection and children in care
* To recognise health and safety is a responsibility of every employee, to take reasonable care of self and others and to comply with the WBC Health and Safety policy and any service-specific procedures / rules that apply to this role.
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. The post holder must have access to a vehicle or the ability to travel to carry out the duties of the role. The post holder must be a registered social worker.
Monitoring and ongoing development of outcomes
As part of the annual appraisal, outcome based targets will be developed with the post holder and will supplement this job profile. The job profile will be subject to regular review and the Council reserves its right to amend or add to the accountabilities listed above.
The ideal candidate will have…
* At least 5 years post-qualifying social work experience
* Experience of social work in child protection and children looked after, including legal proceedings
* Experience of chairing meetings
* Experience of managing conflict
* Experience of management and/or supervision within a children’s social care team
* Experience of Quality assurance systems.
* Knowledge, Skills and Understanding
* Knowledge and understanding of permanence planning
* Extensive knowledge of Child Protection practice and indicators of risk
* Extensive knowledge and understanding of legislation and guidance
* Skilful communication with children and young people
* Ability to record clear child focused write up of reviews of Care Plans
* Ability to evaluate plans and make appropriate decisions which safeguard children and promote their welfare
* Skills to authoritatively chair complex multi-disciplinary meetings including children, their parents and carers and resolve conflicts effectively;
* Ability to use computerised case recording systems
* Ability to work within timescales, to organise own workload and to
* manage time effectively
* Ability to work constructively with senior managers, offering a critical perspective and appropriate challenge
* Personal credibility to provide leadership
* Able to cope and function effectively when working in a pressurised environment.
* Emotionally resilient
* Organised and able to meet tight deadlines
* Able to respond to a changing pattern of demand at work which can be unpredictable and unplanned requiring shifts of priority.
* Takes others views into account; actively listens to other’s views &
* concerns & responds appropriately
* Able to influence change; undaunted by tough challenges
* Able to constructively challenge accepted practices; identify,
* think through & appropriately articulate improvements; able to
* influence others to gain acceptance for ideas
* Able to establish & maintain relationships at all levels;
* promotes harmony & consensus through diplomatic handling
* of disagreement & potential conflict;
Education & Qualifications
* A Diploma in Social Work ,CQSW or equivalent
* Evidence of ongoing professional training and development in line
* with the requirements as set out by the GSCC
* Driving Licence
* PQSW or equivalent
* Educated to degree level
* Experience or ability in delivering training
There are a number of generic requirements that are applicable to all employees within the council. These can be found at the following link
We have exciting opportunities for a talented SC Cleared Operations Manager to join our fast growing management consultancy as a...Apply For This Job
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Security Officer to join the G4S team working for a high profile...Apply For This Job
Role Overview As an Area Security Officer at G4S, you are more than a Security Guard. You'll be a key...Apply For This Job
Job Profile Independent Reviewing Officer Grade: 10 Date Updated: December 2019 About the Job To Chair Reviews of Looked After...Apply For This Job
Summary Are you looking for an organisation that promotes the work-life balance of its workforce? An employer who offers structured...Apply For This Job